You have entered the realm of a writer.

Welcome to A Writer's Landscape!

You have entered the realm of my mind where words play with the fabric of our existence. This is the map of my imagination: the very foundations of inspiration, musing, and thought splayed for your wandering eyes. Dive deep into the tides of these forces and experience my reality, my fantasy, my world; and if you should be so inclined, share your words with this land.

Peace and Love!

J Hart F

Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Walking With Ghosts" by Qwo-Li Driskill

"Qwo-Li Driskill is a Cherokee Two Spirit/Queer writer and activist also of African, Irish, Lenape, Lumbee, and Osage ascent." His poetry is amazing, inspirational and powerful, wrought with the imageries of a contemporary American Indian life and the struggles of a queer man discovering his identity as a multiracial individual and having a diverse sexuality. Such ingredients make for truly moving and inspiring pieces of art. His words are artistically chosen, phrases meticulously constructed, voice freely given to bear his soul and identity for readers. I was truly touched by him.

"When your hands travel
across my hemispheres
know these lands
have been invaded before
and though I may quiver
from your touch
there is still a war

It is not without fear
and memories awash in blood
that I allow you to slip between
my borders
rest in the warm valleys
of my sovereign body
offer you feasts and songs
dress you in a bloack of peacock
feathers and stars
These gifts could be misconstrued
as worship
Honor mistaken for surrender

When you tast my lips
think of maize
venison
perfect wild strawberries

Notice the way my breath smells of cedar
my sweat flows like slow Southern rivers
and my flesh burns with history

Honor this

I walk out of genocide to touch you"
(Walking With Ghosts (c) 2005, p. 11)

So many levels of this speaks so honestly of the sexual encounters he has had, of the vision people see of him when they finally get to know him, of the struggles a people have gone through in history. He is a truly wonderful, remarkable poet and inspiration. I suggest reading more of his wonderful artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment